- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add the eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Moist Chocolate Cake
Sort By :
"This recipe is very good - very tasty and moist! If you are not a coffee drinker, it really doesn't matter. You won't be able to taste it. The coffee is just there to enhance the chocolate taste. I substituted buttermilk with 1 tbsp white vinegar added with whole milk to make 1 cup. I lessened the sugar a bit - used 1 3/4 cup instead of 2 cups. In addition to just topping it with powdered sugar, I made a chocolate ganache (bittersweet chocolate, whole milk with cardamom, powdered sugar and butter) then sprinkled chocolate chips on top. The fluted tube pan available to me was a little bit smaller than the one called for in the instructions but the batter did not really overflow during baking. Baking time of 45 minutes was spot on. This is very easy to make, very little effort needed. The finished product looks very presentable and you could easily give these as gifts."
"This chocolate cake is amazing! Easy, moist and nice chocolate flavor. You can taste the coffee in the batter but not in the cooled cake. It just adds a deeper fuller taste. Sometime I substitute half the cocoa powder with dark chocolate powder. I occasionally try different chocolate cake recipes and even if they are good I always come back to this cake as a reliable, delicious go to option."
"I'm in love with this recipe. The best chocolate cake ever, and with the coffee you can change up the flavor and get a different flavor cake. 10 star"
"Does it have a coffee flavor? Not a coffee drinker here and I usually don't like anything coffee flavored either."
"Tastes just like my mom's Wacky Cake growing up that we had for all of our birthdays. I am diabetic and would like to know how the 52 g of carbs is split out showing the total grams of sugar. I know that the flour is also carbs but I am planning on using Splenda instead of sugar and need to know total carbs. Can anyone help me out with this? By the way, everyone at work loved this moist cake."