- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 jar (10 ounces) lemon curd
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, buttermilk, oil, applesauce, lemon juice, egg yolks, lemon peel and poppy seeds; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/3 cup lemon curd. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining lemon curd over top of cake within 1 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with 3 cups whipped cream mixture. Pipe remaining mixture around edges. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Poppy Seed Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p157
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Contest-Winning Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review