- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup cut fresh or frozen green beans
- In a large saucepan, brown beef; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add green beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the beans are tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Contest-Winning Hearty Hamburger Soup
"I'm trying new soups, and this is very good. I used a pound and a half of sirloin ground beef, three medium potatoes instead of two. I added minced garlic, one dried bay leaf, a shot of Worcestershire, fresh oregano instead of dried, about 4 capers. I used 5 beef bouillon cubes and one chicken bouillon cube and a little more water. I used the recommended on the carrots, celery, fresh green beans, and onion. My only complaint is that it still felt a little bland, but that's my personal preference. Very hearty and tasty, and kids like it."
"This recipe is great! Herb-Ox makes sodium free beef or chicken bouillon packets, I use it for soups and casseroles.. it reduces the sodium in this recipe. Mary@penniesfordreams.com"
"Cut salt/sodium way down by using unsalted beef broth instead of water and bullion. also, use unsalted tomatoes. Leave the 1 1/2 tsp salt out until you taste it."
"Oh how I wish there was much less Sodium!The rest is great."
"Been making this for years, sometimes adding a little grated turnip or some chopped cabbage. Seems to really boost the flavor. My 100 yr old mother often requests this soup."
"Terrific! Easy, hearty and tasty. I used different bouillons, tomato, beef, chicken and ground turkey and corn plus one small tomato sauce instead of diced toms, but it was still yummy!"
"Good, crowd-pleasing recipe. I especially like that the vegetables are cooked perfectly and not overdone. We prefer it with extra pepper and oregano, and a 28 oz can of tomatoes."
"Can you make this in the crock pot?"
"and added corn!"
"A delicious and hearty soup. Nice to see someone from my area posted here. I'm from Rockford IL..Thank you Barbara!"