This fast favorite hits the spot when we're short on time. Roast beef, cheese, and sauteed onion, green pepper and mushrooms are sandwiched between slices of sourdough bread, then toasted on a griddle to buttery perfection.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 16 slices Colby-Monterey Jack or Swiss cheese, divided
- 8 slices deli roast beef
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Garlic salt, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, mushrooms and garlic in oil until tender; sprinkle with salt and pepper. On four slices of bread, layer two slices of cheese, two slices of beef and a fourth of the vegetable mixture. Top with the remaining cheese and bread.
- Butter outside of bread; sprinkle with garlic salt if desired. On a hot griddle or large skillet, toast sandwiches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Roast Beef Sandwiches in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p28
Reviews for Contest-Winning Grilled Roast Beef Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review