Contest-Winning Grilled Corn Salsa Recipe
Nothing beats the flavor of grilled vegetables, and this is a super way to use your garden bounty. I grill the veggies anytime I'm grilling something else, then whip up the salad and put it in the fridge to marinate. It's even better the next day. —Teri Kman Laporte, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Grill: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:30 servings
- 8 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 2 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into four wedges
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- BASIL VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white balsamic or cider vinegar
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. Fill a soup kettle two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Add corn. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove corn; cool slightly.
- 2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill the corn, squash, red pepper and onion, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally.
- 3. Cut corn from cobs; cut the squash, red pepper and onion into bite-size pieces. Place vegetables in a large bowl; add tomato.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 7-1/2 cups.
1/4 cup equals 60 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 84 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC