Contest-Winning Green Chili Pork Stew Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 to 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown pork in oil over medium heat on all sides. Add onion and garlic; saute for 3-5 minutes. Drain. Add the water, tomatoes, chilies, potatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 2. Add beans; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 each) equals 232 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 523 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.