- 1 package (13-1/4 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, chicken, tomato sauce, tomatoes, spinach, olives, onion, green pepper, basil and oregano.
Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Greek Pasta Bake
"I have served this recipe to perhaps a few thousand over the years- It is always a hit. Once you try the original, you will know how to substitute ingredients- The flavors are excellent@"
"Not great. Needs to be more saucy & cheesy"
"Added some additional cheese in the mixture as well and added additional Greek seasoning on top. Easy, quick and inexpensive. I divided into two baking dishes and froze one for another night."
"Quick and easy to make and absolutely delicious. My family absolutely loved it! There was plenty to go around. I added a little salt and pepper, otherwise it was perfect!"
"I really liked this recipe. It was quick and easy to make. I'm a vegetarian so I cut out the chicken and I hate olives so I left those out also. I added more cheese too :) I think next time I may try it with some beans in place of the chicken. I liked the texture of the onion and pepper in the casserole too."