- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water or red wine
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 medium onions, quartered
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 large fresh mushrooms
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato soup, water, bouillon and seasonings; pour over beef. Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and celery.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with egg noodles if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Gone-All-Day Stew
"On board for Thursday ~ Tend to sub. beef broth in place of water . Soooooo good!! I also tebnd to make homade biscuits alongside!!"
"How much would equal one serving?"
"I haven't made another kind of beef stew since I found this recipe. It's the herbs that make it taste so good. I never have tomato soup on hand, so I always substitute a can of tomato sauce. And I take the recipe's name at its word and cook it all day in the crockpot. I've got a potful all ready for supper and I can hardly wait to eat it! It smells wonderful!"
"This is a good, hearty stew, but next time I will omit the Italian seasoning and go with salt and pepper instead. The seasoning was overwhelming and everyone agreed that we would like the stew better without it."
"This stew was delicious. Used a 2 pound round steak instead of the chuck roast. Added a few more vegetables than called for and doubled the broth. Cooked on low for 7-8 hours. Will definatly make again."
"Very good stew and easy to make."
"Outstanding flavors! I did alter the recipe slightly: For us, 4 med. onions were plenty. I added more carrots and celery + 2 cans of chopped tomatoes drained slightly. I poured the liquid over all the vegetables in the pot! Also mixed in 4 T. of corn starch last hour of cooking and yes, I had to add time. It cooked 7 hours."
"Wonderful easy Thanks whom every sent it in ..."
"This stew sounds excellent but I have a question. Is 4-5 hrs. enough cooking time for the vegetables to get done with them placed on top? Most say to place these types of vegetables underneath the meat and also cook for a much longer time. Any comments? Thanks."
"This gone-all-day stew is simply delicious and one I'd make any chance I got. I'm not home much, as I have a daytime job, but this stew would be ready when we all got home for supper. It's a keeper, for sure, and one we want in our recipe box."