- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water or red wine
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 medium onions, quartered
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 large fresh mushrooms
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato soup, water, bouillon and seasonings; pour over beef. Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and celery.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with egg noodles if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Gone-All-Day Stew
"On board for Thursday ~ Tend to sub. beef broth in place of water . Soooooo good!! I also tebnd to make homade biscuits alongside!!"
"How much would equal one serving?"
"I haven't made another kind of beef stew since I found this recipe. It's the herbs that make it taste so good. I never have tomato soup on hand, so I always substitute a can of tomato sauce. And I take the recipe's name at its word and cook it all day in the crockpot. I've got a potful all ready for supper and I can hardly wait to eat it! It smells wonderful!"
"This is a good, hearty stew, but next time I will omit the Italian seasoning and go with salt and pepper instead. The seasoning was overwhelming and everyone agreed that we would like the stew better without it."
"This stew was delicious. Used a 2 pound round steak instead of the chuck roast. Added a few more vegetables than called for and doubled the broth. Cooked on low for 7-8 hours. Will definatly make again."