Contest-Winning Gone-All-Day Stew Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water or red wine
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 medium onions, quartered
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 large fresh mushrooms
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- 1. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato soup, water, bouillon and seasonings; pour over beef. Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and celery.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with egg noodles if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 416 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.