Contest-Winning Glazed Pineapple Pie Recipe
Just for fun, I enter my favorite pie recipes in area contests and fairs. This one is a guaranteed winner. It's so pretty with a golden crust and drizzles of glaze. Plus, the coconut adds a tropical accent to the tangy pineapple inside.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rum or vanilla extract
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (discard remaining juice or refrigerate for another use); set pineapple aside. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Sprinkle with coconut.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice, butter and pineapple. Spread over coconut. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut sits in pastry. Add decorative cutouts if desired.
- 3. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, extract and enough of the reserved pineapple juice to achieve glaze consistency. Drizzle over warm pie. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 480 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 312 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC