Contest-Winning Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup hot water
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, beat the shortening, sugar, molasses and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon; add to molasses mixture alternately with hot water.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt, nutmeg and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Serve with warm cake. Refrigerate leftover sauce. Yield: 20 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Contest-Winning Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce
Sort By :
i made this a few years back for christmas and i'm making again this year. the lemon sauce is an amazing compliment to the spicy cake!