- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 4-6 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla. In a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in whole milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate mixture. Pour into crust.
- For topping, in a small saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar and butter. Cook and stir until butter is melted and mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Pour over filling.
- Cool pie 30 minutes on a wire rack. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning German Chocolate Pie
Sort By :
"Excellent! Messed up the original crust, but used a graham cracker crust and the pie came together just fine!"
"Family loved it!"
"My son loved the pie. I think it was even better the next day. He gave it five stars."
"Perfect, that all I can say.."
"Does this pie need to be kept in the refrigerator or can it be left at room temperature?"