Contest-Winning Fruitcake Cookies Recipe
Since I've enjoyed cooking almost my entire life—I've been doing it since I was old enough to be able to—I should have known the way my husband and I would meet. I was working at our local county fair (when I retired 2 years ago, I was its executive director)...and Mehrle and his dad were putting up a dining room on the grounds one day! This recipe's one people always ask for. They tell me it's habit-forming! I'm the kind of cook who starts with a basic recipe, then throws in "extras" to make it my own. I'm also the type who doesn't like making the same old thing over and over. So it's good my husband's the way he is—Mehrle's happy to eat just about anything I serve.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 6 cups chopped pecans (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1-1/2 cup raisins
- 1-1/4 cups chopped candied cherries (about 1/2 pound)
- 1-1/4 cups chopped candied pineapple (about 1/2 pound)
- 4-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1. In a large bowl, combine pecans, cracker crumbs, raisins, cherries and pineapple. In a large saucepan, combine marshmallows, milk and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted.
- 2. Pour over pecan mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls and roll in the coconut. Yield: 7-8 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 196 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 49 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC