- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- FRESH TOMATO SALSA:
- 5 medium red tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and cayenne. In another shallow bowl, beat egg and milk. Place cornflake crumbs in a third bowl. Pat green tomato slices dry. Coat with flour mixture, dip into egg mixture, then coat with crumbs.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 4 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Fry tomato slices, four at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.
- Place fried tomatoes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine salsa ingredients. Serve with the fried tomatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Fried Green Tomatoes
Sort By :
"My first encounter with fried green tomatoes was in Mazatlan at a restaurant called "Tomato". They served them with a kind of Thousand Island dressing. From then on I was hooked. The salsa version looks good too, however, instead of adding sugar, I would add diced pineapple which is a great compliment to many fried foods especially tomatoes."
"Great recipe! But instead of a salsa sauce , I use a chipotle aioli sauce and top it off with crumbled feta cheese ! Delicious !"
"This is very good! I ran out of time to make salsa, but the tomatoes are great without salsa. Look forward to trying with salsa."
"Sounds great. Will try this soon. eggyfarts love name you go by. Very original."
"Very nice-also Fuddge-what does butter bread have to do with tomaotes???"