- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 quart fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- in large saucepan, saute the celery, onion, carrot and green pepper in butter. Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes, sugar, salt, curry and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Combine flour and remaining 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Yield: 2 quarts.
Originally published as Fresh Tomato Soup in Country Woman July/August 1988, p29
Reviews for Contest-Winning Fresh Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 25, 2010
"I would cut back on the celery and add a little fresh basil."
Reviewed Sep. 22, 2009
"luv this soup! luv the smell of the house when i make it - reminds me of when my mom cans tomatoes in the Fall. i like throwing in some fresh or canned corn too."