Contest-Winning Freezer Salsa Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, peppers and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- 3. Spoon into freezer containers. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Stir before serving. Yield: about 6 cups.
1/4 cup: 42 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Freezer Salsa
"I followed this recipe exactly. the only thing that i really liked about it was the thickness. I am sorry but I can not see how this got a contest winning recipe"
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.