- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, peppers and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Spoon into freezer containers. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Stir before serving. Yield: about 6 cups.
Originally published as Freezer Salsa in Country Woman September/October 2004
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Freezer Salsa
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2012
"I followed this recipe exactly. the only thing that i really liked about it was the thickness. I am sorry but I can not see how this got a contest winning recipe"