Contest-Winning Freezer Salsa Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, peppers and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Spoon into freezer containers. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Stir before serving. Yield: about 6 cups.
This recipe pairs well with a sweet red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Fizz 56 Brachetto Italy N/V, sparkling and sweet with hints of raspberry and cherry. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Contest-Winning Freezer Salsa
Sort By :
I followed this recipe exactly. the only thing that i really liked about it was the thickness. I am sorry but I can not see how this got a contest winning recipe