Contest-Winning Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 medium eggplants, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant in eggs, then coat in crumbs. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning once.
- In a small bowl, combine mushrooms, basil and oregano. In another small bowl, combine mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with a third of the mushroom mixture, eggplant, 3/4 cup sauce and a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Eggplant Parmesan
Sort By :
Tasty but the panco sucked up the sauce.
After reading the reviews, I made a couple of adjustments and this turned out awesome. I used italian seasoned panko, fresh baby bella mushrooms and threw in some fresh spinach. Also increased the amount of sauce. I will definitely make this more often.
This really didn't take any longer than frying the eggplant does. I made it as directed except I peeled the eggplant. It definitely needed more sauce and seasoning as it was rather bland but it was good enough that I'll jazz it up and try it again.
This was good. Not spectacular. I did add more seasoning to the mushrooms. I didn't find this bland, but I don't know maybe I was just missing meat. Trying to do more vegetarian recipes. One thing is that I bought 24 oz sauce. Never saw 28 oz. So parts of mine were dry, which was ok cause it was crunchy from the panko. Next time I'd get the 36 oz and probably use the whole thing.
I liked the flavor of this eggplant parmesan. My family did not care for this one because the eggplant peels were tough
More Recipe Collections
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Eggplant Casserole >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >