Contest-Winning Eggnog Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This family favorite is a combination of our favorite holiday flavors. With its flaky crust, creamy filling and crunchy topping, it's the perfect finale to a special meal.—Lyn Dilworth, Rancho Cordova, California
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening, cubed
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a food processor, combine flour and salt; cover and pulse to blend. Add shortening and butter; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add water until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, eggnog, sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cloves until blended. Pour into crust.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat brown sugar and butter until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over filling.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 408 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 315 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC