Contest-Winning Eggnog Cake Recipe
This wonderful cake is full of eggnog flavor. I especially like to serve it around the holidays.—Debra Frappolli, Wayne, New Jersey
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups eggnog
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Red and green gel food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with eggnog, beating well after each addition. Pour into two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine flour and salt. Gradually stir in eggnog until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat whisking constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature.
- 4. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in eggnog mixture and vanilla until smooth.
- 5. Remove 1/4 cup frosting for decorating if desired; tint 3 tablespoons green and 1 tablespoon red. Spread plain frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Use green and red frosting to pipe leaves and berries on cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 556 calories, 28 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 146 mg cholesterol, 589 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Eggnog Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC