- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 11 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil and butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, beans, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, parsley, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Return soup to a boil. Stir in pasta; heat through. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Contest-Winning Easy Minestrone
Sort By :
Used fresh Parsley as dried is flavorless and a waste of money. Used vegetable broth, substituted the Pasta with 1/2 cup Barley. Omitted the butter and doubled the Olive oil. Garnished with grated Romano that I had on hand along with the chopped Parsley and fresh Basil. Served with toasted Artisan french rounds bread topped with Aioli.
Easy and delicious! I make this often.
This soup was delicious , very easy to make and the fact that has no meat in it, it makes even better. Although I tweaked it a bit, omitted the garbanzo beans and replaced it with a can of drained french cut green beans. Also, added Tuscan herb blend, which gave it a bit of kick! Next time, will use the regular tomato sauce rather than no salt, since do not want to use Parm. cheese. Also, doubled the chicken broth, since I like to soup with more broth, rather than thick. This recipe will be made a lot in my household. Lauren, THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it.
I had a difficult time finding a Minestrone Soup recipe without meat. This one was perfect! I did not have the elbow macaroni on hand so I used medium shells for substitution. Just the right amount of pasta and veggies.
loved this I didn't have tomato sauce so I used can of tomatoes and tomato paste instead. I also added spinach...next time I would add more pasta