- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 11 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil and butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, beans, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, parsley, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add macaroni; cook, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender.
Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with cheese.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Contest-Winning Easy Minestrone
"I joined the site specifically so that I could post my thoughts on THIS delicious soup. It is wonderful! I added a 10 ounce can of Rotel Original with Green Chilies to add some spice (the Cajun in me takes over in the kitchen) and I used Ditalini pasta instead of elbows. Quick, Easy and so Delicious! Sure wish I could add a photo of my soup. My family LOVES it."
"I had to join this site just to post a review of this soup. I am actually just finishing off the last of it. SUPERB! and so easy, even a guy (me) can make it. Substituted green beans for garbanzo beans (didn't have any) and didn't use cabbage, also substituted farfale (bow ties) for the pasta. AWESOME! Thank you, thank you thank you."
"What a wonderful soup--I will make this often. Followed the recipe exactually. Nice recipe that didn't call for a lot of unusual ingredients."
"This is amazing. I don't like cabbage so I just added one small zucchini small summer squash some green beans and peppers. This is my favorite soup recipe!"
"I have made this dish many times since I first found the recipe last year. Since I have a family where half are vegetarians and half are meat eaters, I substituted the chicken broth for veggie broth to turn it into a vegetarian dish that all of my family loves. When I bring it to a pot luck, I always take the recipe with me, because I know that I am going to be asked for it."
"Used fresh Parsley as dried is flavorless and a waste of money. Used vegetable broth, substituted the pasta with 1/2 cup Barley. Omitted the butter and doubled the Olive oil. Garnished with grated Romano that I had on hand along with the chopped Parsley and fresh Basil. Served with toasted Artisan french rounds bread topped with Aioli."
"Easy and delicious! I make this often."
"This soup was delicious , very easy to make and the fact that has no meat in it, it makes even better. Although I tweaked it a bit, omitted the garbanzo beans and replaced it with a can of drained french cut green beans. Also, added Tuscan herb blend, which gave it a bit of kick! Next time, will use the regular tomato sauce rather than no salt, since do not want to use Parm. cheese. Also, doubled the chicken broth, since I like to soup with more broth, rather than thick. This recipe will be made a lot in my household. Lauren, THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it."