- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set aside 1 cup pineapple and 3 tablespoons juice (refrigerate remaining pineapple and juice for another use).
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, chicken, celery, almonds, raisins, green onions and reserved pineapple.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, salt and reserved juice. Gently stir into rice mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. serve in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Curried Rice Salad
Sort By :
"I lost my copy of this and was so glad to find it on your site. It will adapt to lots of things, including shrimp, or stand alone as a side. Can add sugar snap peas..., use yogurt instead of mayo, an the list goes on. A real keeper."
"My mom first served this salad, or one much like it, in the late 1960s. Her version used pecans instead of almonds, and had 1/3 c. flaked coconut instead of raisins. Delicious! So far, I've yet to hear anybody make a negative comment!"