Contest-Winning Curried Chicken Turnovers Recipe
You'll want to try these party-perfect turnovers. My guests enjoy the delicious curried chicken. Plus, the puff pastry makes for an elegant snack.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and carrot in butter for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, curry powder and salt until blended. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the chicken, sour cream and yogurt.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. With a floured 3-in. round cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles from each rectangle. Place 2 teaspoons chicken mixture on one side of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- 3. Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 400° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 132 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC