Contest-Winning Curried Chicken Turnovers Recipe
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and carrot in butter for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, curry powder and salt until blended. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the chicken, sour cream and yogurt.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. With a floured 3-in. round cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles from each rectangle. Place 2 teaspoons chicken mixture on one side of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- 3. Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 400° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 132 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Contest-Winning Curried Chicken Turnovers
"This recipe should read 2 TABLESPOONS of filling per circle. I used 2 teaspoons for the first dozen and had way too much filling leftover for the second dozen. The ingredients add up to 3 cups of filling, which is 48 tablespoons.Other than the typo, my husband and I really enjoyed these. He burned his tongue because he was so excited to eat them he didn't wait for them to cool a bit."