Contest-Winning Chocolate Potato Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add potatoes and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For icing, in a saucepan over low heat, cook butter and brown sugar until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in evaporated milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread between layers and over top of cake. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 671 calories, 31 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 374 mg sodium, 94 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Chocolate Potato Cake
"This is the exact recipe that my grandmother used to make for all of my birthdays when I was a girl in school. I highly recommend this cake and can't think of any changes that would make it better. FIVE STARS PLUS"
"A dense , moist light chocolate taste...Very good..I made this into cup cakes..with a chocolate frosting topping. I am making this tomorrow as well for a young women's activity with a chocolate gauche filling and light flavored chocolate frosting..Yumm ~~"
"Best homemade chocolate cake ever! My picky little siblings adored it (I did not tell them about the potato)! I used raw sugar instead of regular sugar, and rice milk instead of regular milk. Turned out great."