Contest-Winning Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CHOCOLATE FLUFF FROSTING:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- Dash salt
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the flour, 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and cocoa three times. Set aside.
- 2. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Mixture will be thick.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- 5. For frosting, In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar, cocoa and salt; beat until stiff peaks form. Frost top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 344 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Contest-Winning Chocolate Angel Food Cake
"My son says this cake tasts like hot chocolate, we though it was great without the frosting,"
"Like another reviewer, when I first tasted this cake, I thought there wasn't enough chocolate flavor. However, when I tried a piece with icing, that changed my opinion. I really liked the cake. There must be a lot of icing on the cake in the picture, because I had a great deal left over. I used the left over to dip strawberries, and it was excellent. I don't generally like icing, as I think it is too sweet, but I thought the icing made the cake."
"I really hate to (makes farting sound) on a recipe, but this cake just didn't do it for me.I decided to leave out the last 2 tablespoons of sugar, but it was still too sweet for me and 1/4 cup of cocoa just isn't enough. I couldn't really taste the chocolate at all.However, the texture was amazing. I didn't make the frosting because the cake doesn't need it. Some whip cream would be more than enough to finish it off."
"My chocolate angel food cake recipe is really easy- use a a f cake mix adding 1/3 C cocoa sifted into the mix and 1/2 t chocolate flavoring with the water. Bake as directed on the box. I like to frost it with chocolate cool whip. Yummy!"
"Love this cake!"
"Just as things were going perfect while preparing the cake it all went downill once I followed the directions to put the pan on the very botton rack in the oven. About six minutes before forty minuteswas up I opened up the oven to take a look and I could smell the cake burning. I ended up having to cut off the bottom part of the cake so that it wouldn't taste burnt and that caused me to have way to much frosting. The frosting was absolutely delish but I ended up having to add more sugar and cocoa then what the recipe asked for because it was still very thin. All in all, I ended up having a little bit of cake with my frosting. If I make this again I will make sure to put it on the second lowest rack in the oven so that I can actually enjoy and taste the cake."