- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CHOCOLATE FLUFF FROSTING:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- Dash salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the flour, 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and cocoa three times. Set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Mixture will be thick.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- For frosting, In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar, cocoa and salt; beat until stiff peaks form. Frost top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Sort By :
"My son says this cake tasts like hot chocolate, we though it was great without the frosting,"
"Like another reviewer, when I first tasted this cake, I thought there wasn't enough chocolate flavor. However, when I tried a piece with icing, that changed my opinion. I really liked the cake. There must be a lot of icing on the cake in the picture, because I had a great deal left over. I used the left over to dip strawberries, and it was excellent. I don't generally like icing, as I think it is too sweet, but I thought the icing made the cake."
"I really hate to (makes farting sound) on a recipe, but this cake just didn't do it for me.I decided to leave out the last 2 tablespoons of sugar, but it was still too sweet for me and 1/4 cup of cocoa just isn't enough. I couldn't really taste the chocolate at all.However, the texture was amazing. I didn't make the frosting because the cake doesn't need it. Some whip cream would be more than enough to finish it off."
"My chocolate angel food cake recipe is really easy- use a a f cake mix adding 1/3 C cocoa sifted into the mix and 1/2 t chocolate flavoring with the water. Bake as directed on the box. I like to frost it with chocolate cool whip. Yummy!"
"Love this cake!"