- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Mix cornstarch and milk until smooth. Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Stir in sherry, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
"I loved this recipe!! Didn't make enough sauce though; will need to double if making more than two breasts."
"Delicious. Sauce for four chicken breasts is really sauce for two. I added one clove minced garlic. Next time we'll try adding lemon and capers"
"My husband and i both loved it. I did add a few cloves of garlic as we are garlic lovers, but this recipe will definitely be on our regular rotation. Easy to make, low calorie, and delicious!"
"Loved this dish! Made it as written. Easy to make and easy on the calories."
"Yummy and easy and low cal. No wonder it was a winner in the contesr. It is a winner. I did not use the sherry. That is too strong a flavor to me."
"Good recipe, and quite easy to fix. I opted for the chicken broth instead of sherry, but everyone like it. The fresh mushrooms and thinly sliced onions were good, even reheated the next day."
"Delicious--mushrooms were on sale at my local grocery store, so I gave this recipe a try. We loved it and I think I will double the sauce next time as it was delicious on the mashed potatoes I served along with the chicken. I didn't flatten my chicken breasts quite enough, so I'll do a better job on that next time. They were still good, just took longer for them to cook all the way through."
"This was a good recipe. It was fairly quick to make and the sauce was rich. My husband loves gravy, so I doubled the sauce."
"Very good; hubby liked it a lot. I used marsala cooking wine in place of the sherry and it turned out fine."