Contest-Winning Chicken with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Mix cornstarch and milk until smooth. Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- 3. In same pan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Stir in sherry, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 225 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
"Good recipe, and quite easy to fix. I opted for the chicken broth instead of sherry, but everyone like it. The fresh mushrooms and thinly sliced onions were good, even reheated the next day."
"Delicious--mushrooms were on sale at my local grocery store, so I gave this recipe a try. We loved it and I think I will double the sauce next time as it was delicious on the mashed potatoes I served along with the chicken. I didn't flatten my chicken breasts quite enough, so I'll do a better job on that next time. They were still good, just took longer for them to cook all the way through."
"This was a good recipe. It was fairly quick to make and the sauce was rich. My husband loves gravy, so I doubled the sauce."
"Very good; hubby liked it a lot. I used marsala cooking wine in place of the sherry and it turned out fine."
"This was a very nice recipe. I made just as directed except that I used canned mushrooms. I'm sure fresh would have been better but the canned were fine. Everyone that tried it enjoyed it. I served it with brown rice."
"Really enjoyed this recipe. I only used 2 breasts so there was plenty of sauce."
"I forgot to add that next time I would add a little thyme and maybe even sage to give the sauce a little more flavor."
"This was very good. I took the advice of a previous comment and doubled the sauce mix plus I added extra mushrooms. I served it over mashed potatoes."
"Really, really yummy! I served it over mashed potatoes. The sauce is so delicious."
"Not a bad base recipe. Will add to it next time to spice it up a little."
"I make this almost once a week, it's one of our favorites! We use sherry and thin sliced chicken breasts."
"Very good! One of my favorites when I have extra mushrooms to use up."
"My family and I loved it. I used the sherry instead of chicken broth. Gives it great flavor. Will make again."
"So easy to make and it was great over "leftover Chinese sticky rice"."
"My DH really liked it. Next time I might serve it over rice or orzo."
"This was a very good recipe. I used portobello mushrooms, but I love all kinds of mushrooms, so it doesn't matter. I'll defintely make this again."
"This is very good and easy to make. If I changed anything it would be to add more chicken broth so there was more sauce."