- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Mix cornstarch and milk until smooth. Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Stir in sherry, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
"Very good; hubby liked it a lot. I used marsala cooking wine in place of the sherry and it turned out fine."
"This was a very nice recipe. I made just as directed except that I used canned mushrooms. I'm sure fresh would have been better but the canned were fine. Everyone that tried it enjoyed it. I served it with brown rice."
"Really enjoyed this recipe. I only used 2 breasts so there was plenty of sauce."
"I forgot to add that next time I would add a little thyme and maybe even sage to give the sauce a little more flavor."
"This was very good. I took the advice of a previous comment and doubled the sauce mix plus I added extra mushrooms. I served it over mashed potatoes."