Contest-Winning Chicken Wild Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the cream, chicken, rice, mushrooms, pimientos and parsley; heat through.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 382 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
"Wow! This was fantastic! I didn't have pimientos, so I used a red bell pepper like other reviewers . I did use fresh mushrooms because that's what I had. This will be added to our meal rotation!"
"This was soooo yummy! Best wild rice casserole I've ever had without a doubt!I did make some changes:Yellow bell pepper instead of pimientosFresh mushrooms instead of the jarHeavy cream instead of half and halfAnd sauted all the vegetables together with the butter and about 1/3-1/4 cup of dry white wine.Amazingly delicious!Next time I think I will add some diced squash for a veggie addition."
"This was really good. I accidentally overcooked the rice but it still turned out great. I did as others suggested and used green pepper instead of pimientos, and sauteed them with the onion. I omitted the mushrooms because I personally don't like them. I also put dried cranberries on top before I baked it. My husband loved it! One thing I wasn't happy with was the amount of dishes. A pot for making the rice, a pan for cooking chicken, a larger pot to combine everything, then a dish for baking. In the future, I'll make the rice and the chicken well beforehand."
"Delicious casserole. Didn't have any pimiento so I substituted green peppers, used fresh mushrooms, then sauteed the peppers and mushrooms with the onions. Very flavorful."
"Excellent dish - we get asked for the recipe's all the time. We saute some red peppers with onions in place of pimientos."
"This dish tastes Great, its now a family favorite!! I have little experience making sauces or gravy from scratch but it was so easy!!"
"Wow!! I have a family of five and this meal was a hit with everyone. Will be making this dish often for my family."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.