- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained, or 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- Hot cooked pasta
- Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the chicken, seasonings, tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms and wine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken with sauce over pasta. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Chicken Cacciatore
"Being that I never plan early in the morning for me to use a crock pot, I decided to make this recipe this afternoon anyway. I browned boneless chicken breast in my braiser. Added the onions and garlic till soften. Then added all the rest of the ingredients. Simmered the whole thing for about an hour. Removed the chicken and tossed in cooked angel hair pasta and tossed it all together. Put the chicken back on top and took the whole pan to the table. You would of thought I was chef Mario. Raves from everyone. They just loved it. THANK YOU FOR A GREAT RECIPE. They are already asking for it again. Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did."
"Super easy and delicious!"
"Glad I read the reviews and added more spices to give it more flavor. It was OK, probably won't make it again."
"I tweaked the recepie a little. I used boneless, skinless chicken breast that I seasoned and browned first in some evoo. I also added green pepper and few more spices to give it more flavor. Diced tomatoes with chili peppers gave it a little kick. It was a little soupy. Next time I'll mix in a little corn starch to thicken the sauce. My family enjoyed it."
"Really good. Used boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut back cooking time to 4 hours, added garlic."