Contest-Winning Cajun Cabbage Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each white, black and cayenne pepper
- 4 to 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- In a skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and seasonings.
- Spread into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with the cabbage and cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until the rice is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Cajun Cabbage
Sort By :
Made this with some cabbage I raised in my garden. It was very tasty. We liked the heat level but it was pretty spicy. If your family is not a fan of spicy food I think it would be delicious made without the hot sauce and cayenne. You could even substitute stewed tomatoes for the tomatoes and chilies. I froze half of my casserole after it was baked and it was just as delicious 3 months later when I took it out of the freezer, so it also makes a very good freezer meal.
We really enjoy this dish .
Very good recipe...really spices up bland cabbage. I used 14 oz. can of tomatoes with chiles and then topped the meat mixture off with one tomato sauce can of water to cook rice properly...then topped with 2 cups Mexican blend cheese.......delicious!
Excellent, very tasty and easy to make.
We really liked this, hot & spicy - very good - a keeper and will make again soon.