- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each white, black and cayenne pepper
- 4 to 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- In a skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and seasonings.
- Spread into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with the cabbage and cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until the rice is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Cajun Cabbage
"This was a really easy recipe that tasted great. The only thing I did differently was used quinoa instead of rice."
"Yummy! Nice way to use up cabbage from the garden. This had good heat for us, just enough kick!"
"To answer the question of the recipe contributor: Yes, I WAS looking for a new way to use cabbage. My kids and hubby like this vegetable as well as Cajun food so it was bound to be a winning combo. And it IS!! I do use the "Mild" version of the canned diced tomatoes and chilies, but other than that, I make no changes. Good on a cool fall or cold winter's evening to warm the bones!"
"Made this with some cabbage I raised in my garden. It was very tasty. We liked the heat level but it was pretty spicy. If your family is not a fan of spicy food I think it would be delicious made without the hot sauce and cayenne. You could even substitute stewed tomatoes for the tomatoes and chilies. I froze half of my casserole after it was baked and it was just as delicious 3 months later when I took it out of the freezer, so it also makes a very good freezer meal."
"We really enjoy this dish ."
"Very good recipe...really spices up bland cabbage. I used 14 oz. can of tomatoes with chiles and then topped the meat mixture off with one tomato sauce can of water to cook rice properly...then topped with 2 cups Mexican blend cheese.......delicious!"
"Excellent, very tasty and easy to make."
"We really liked this, hot & spicy - very good - a keeper and will make again soon."
"Very spicy and delicious, I added mushrooms too."