Contest-Winning Cajun Cabbage Recipe
Looking for a different treatment for cabbage? Try this spicy cheese-topped dish that I adapted from a friend's recipe. I added a little of this and that until it tasted the way I wanted. Not only do my husband and kids like it, I get rave reviews when I make it for company or church functions. -Bobbie Soileau, Opelousas, Louisiana
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each white, black and cayenne pepper
- 4 to 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- 1. In a skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and seasonings.
- 2. Spread into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with the cabbage and cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until the rice is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 235 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 708 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC