These wonderful rolls can be made very quickly. Hot, fresh rolls go well with just about any meal.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, oil and sugar. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to yeast mixture and beat until smooth. Do not knead. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; punch down. Shape into 24 balls and place in two greased 9-in. square baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Buttermilk Pan Rolls in Country April/May 2001, p49
Reviews for Contest-Winning Buttermilk Pan Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2011
"this was excellent espically with butter. i put it on the table, and with in a blink of an eye it was all gone"