Contest-Winning Butter Pecan Ice Cream Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small skillet, toast pecans in butter for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot cream mixture into the eggs; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Stir in toasted pecans.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 quart.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Butter Pecan Ice Cream(13)
Sort By :
This recipe only made 2 cups so how do I fill container 2/3 full. Do I add milk to container then this recipe or do I triple the recipe? Feeling dumb!!!
This was to die-for.. I am very new at making home made ice creams and the way this came out was as if I've been making ice cream for years. Will be making another batch tonight. I followed the recipe to the t.
Great Recipe! Only change I made is added less of the pecans and chopped them up very finely.
I liked this....easier than most and the taste is good, though not excellent. I cut the sugar to 3/4 cup and will cut to 1/2 cup next time...way too sweet. I will also add butter extract to give more flavor and possibly more pecans....don't think 1/2 cup is enough. However, it's a good basic recipe to work from. I'm not sure why others would give this 5 stars when they intend on tweaking as well.
Great ice cream!!!! Very creamy and smooth!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Ice Cream >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >