Contest-Winning Butter Pecan Ice Cream Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small skillet, toast pecans in butter for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- 2. In a heavy saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot cream mixture into the eggs; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Stir in toasted pecans.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 quart.
1/2 cup equals 298 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.