- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small skillet, toast pecans in butter for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot cream mixture into the eggs; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Stir in toasted pecans.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 quart.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Sort By :
"Kick this recipe up a notch by adding best pecans in the world to it. This recipe calls for 2 1/2 c. Pecans.Mix an egg white with 1tbs vanilla, coat pecans evenly. Add 1/2 c. White sugar, 1/2 c. Brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. Salt, 1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon in a ziploc bag and mix together. Next coat Pecans evenly in sugar mixture then spread evenly over a lightly greased pan. Bake for 1 hour at 225 degrees Farenheit, stirring every 15 minutes, and then let cool on pan.You can adjust the recipe accordingly to make it for a 1/2 c. Pecans like this ice cream recipe calls for, but trust me you'll want to make all of them. Add as many or as little you'd like to the recipe, but every spoonful you'll be wanting more.Enjoy"
"Too much sugar, almost disgusting so to say. If you take a little more than half of what is here then it's very good. 5 Stars"
"This recipe only made 2 cups so how do I fill container 2/3 full. Do I add milk to container then this recipe or do I triple the recipe? Feeling dumb!!!"
"This was to die-for.. I am very new at making home made ice creams and the way this came out was as if I've been making ice cream for years. Will be making another batch tonight. I followed the recipe to the t."
"Great Recipe! Only change I made is added less of the pecans and chopped them up very finely."