Contest-Winning Broccoli with Orange Sauce Recipe
- 3 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into spears
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup canned mandarin oranges
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1. Place broccoli in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in orange juice. Add the orange peel, mandarin oranges and tarragon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in yogurt.
- 3. Drain broccoli; serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 100 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.