Contest-Winning Broccoli Corn Bread Recipe
Meet the Cook: This recipe was inspired by my husband's love of corn bread. It's so good, he and folks who dine with us (like our two grown children) eat it plain. We're retired but still "commute" - between our rural home and our fishing camp! -Lois Triplet, Springhill, Louisiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12-15 servings
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornmeal, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup of cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the eggs, broccoli, cheeses, onion and butter. Add to cornmeal mixture; mix just until moistened.
- 2. Sprinkle remaining cornmeal in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 227 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC