Contest-Winning Broccoli Corn Bread Recipe
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornmeal, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup of cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the eggs, broccoli, cheeses, onion and butter. Add to cornmeal mixture; mix just until moistened.
- 2. Sprinkle remaining cornmeal in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 piece: 227 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Broccoli Corn Bread
"Delicious! I like this because it calls for original ingredients, not cornbread muffin mix. My only variation: I used fresh broccoli, (cooked crisp tender, and chopped, 3 cups). It was delicious, I will definitely do it again. Thanks for the recipe!"