Contest-Winning Broccoli Corn Bread Recipe
Meet the Cook: This recipe was inspired by my husband's love of corn bread. It's so good, he and folks who dine with us (like our two grown children) eat it plain. We're retired but still "commute" - between our rural home and our fishing camp! -Lois Triplet, Springhill, Louisiana
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornmeal, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup of cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the eggs, broccoli, cheeses, onion and butter. Add to cornmeal mixture; mix just until moistened.
- Sprinkle remaining cornmeal in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Corn Bread in Country Woman July/August 1999, p33
Reviews for Contest-Winning Broccoli Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 1, 2011
Delicious! I like this because it calls for original ingredients, not cornbread muffin mix. My only variation: I used fresh broccoli, (cooked crisp tender, and chopped, 3 cups). It was delicious, I will definitely do it again. Thanks for the recipe!