Contest-Winning Braised Short Ribs Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup beer or beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, paprika and mustard. Add ribs in batches and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil; drain.
- 2. Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add ribs. Top with beer and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove ribs and onions to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs. Yield: 7 servings.
1 each: 281 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Braised Short Ribs
"These were tender, fall apart delicious, and really easy to make. I wasn't sure what kind of beer to use, but landed on blue moon Belgium white beer. I used two bottles of the six pack on 6lbs of ribs. I did double the flour mix to make up for the added ribs and added 1 teaspoon of powder beef bouillon to the flour mix. For the gravy I melted 3 tablespoons of butter then whisked in 3 tablespoons of the flour mix. I the added 2 1/2 cups of the drippings to create the delicious gravy. I served it over the ribs and mashed potatoes. This is easy enough to put into regular rotation and fancy enough to serve to guest and on special occasions."