Contest-Winning Braised Short Ribs Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup beer or beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, paprika and mustard. Add ribs in batches and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil; drain.
- 2. Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add ribs. Top with beer and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove ribs and onions to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving equals 281 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 547 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.