Contest-Winning Blueberry Quick Bread Recipe
This sweet bread recipe has won a blue ribbon at our state fair, perhaps because the crushed pineapple and coconut give it a mild but delicious twist. It makes two loaves, so you can freeze one for a future treat. —Lois Everest, Goshen, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar blend
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup canned unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar blend until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, egg whites and lemon juice. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in the blueberries, pineapple, pecans and coconut.
- 2. Transfer to two 8x4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 193 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC