Contest-Winning Black-Eyed Pea Salad Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Cook the black-eyed peas according to package directions; drain and place in a large bowl. Stir in the peas, onions, celery, yellow pepper, carrots and mint.
- 2. In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper; shake well. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Top with tomatoes and bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
3/4 cup: 184 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Black-Eyed Pea Salad
"I just took a taste to see how it is blending and this is delicious. I have to add the tomatoes and bacon and I know this is going to be a hit for New Year's this year!"
"I made this today but used dry beans instead of canned. It was very good and refreshing. I added a hot pepper in addition to the sweet one and really liked the flavor with the fresh mint."
"I love cold bean salads, especially in the summer when it's too hot to cook...but, people are active and hungry!! This recipe is good, it's easy to fix (although i used dried black-eyed peas, after soaking them overnight)..it feeds a crowd..and, it contains Bacon!!!"