Contest-Winning Black-Eyed Pea Salad Recipe
This is a wonderful recipe to serve any time of the year, but it's especially good with ripe cherry tomatoes picked fresh from the garden.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Cook the black-eyed peas according to package directions; drain and place in a large bowl. Stir in the peas, onions, celery, yellow pepper, carrots and mint.
- 2. In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper; shake well. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Top with tomatoes and bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 184 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 287 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC