Contest-Winning Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1. In a small bowl, mash one can black beans; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion, red pepper and jalapeno in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cumin, coriander, hot sauce, pepper, bay leaf, mashed black beans and remaining whole beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3. Discard bay leaf. Stir in lime juice. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1-1/2 teaspoons green onion. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 222 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 779 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Black Bean Soup
"Great tasting soup and so easy. I used dried black beans that I had cooked previously and froze. This will be a new staple in my house!"
"Really great soup! I was afraid of how much kick called in this soup but I might just stick to it next time! I left out the hot sauce, the bay leaves, and celery. I also added grilled chicken cubes that I had grilled myself - GREAT ADDITION."
"Just started a 10 day vegetarian diet, and good recipes without tofu are hard to find. This soup is so good, full of flavor and healthy benefits. There's not a spicy kick with this soup, just a great flavor. I didn't have coriander, cumin, and none of us likes celery, but if you add a little salt and pepper, you won't miss it. Definitely something I will make again."
"Does this soup have much heat to it my husband doesn't like anything to spicy and I would love to try it."
"Added ground flax seed to make this delicious soup even healthier. Served with baked southwest sandwiches. Wonderful."
"We love this soup at my house. Delicious and healthy!"
"I thought this soup was really good, and the lime juice and sour cream on top was a nice finish. My husband didn't care for it too much, but he's a big meat eater and doesn't feel that dinner is complete without some. Luckily, I had some leftover shredded beef he added to his."