"I use my slow cooker so much—unless my husband decides to grill for me—and these mouthwatering meatballs are just one reason why," explains Peggy Rios of Mechanicsville, Virginia. "They’re a guaranteed crowd-pleaser when I serve them as party appetizers…or a yummy, filling sandwich spooned over crusty rolls and topped with cheese."—Peggy Rios, Mechanicsville, Virginia
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 12 hoagie buns, split
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the meatballs, onion, brown sugar, soup mix and beer. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or until heated through.
- Place six meatballs on each bun bottom. Sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup cheese. Place on baking sheets. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace bun tops. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Bavarian Meatballs in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007, p33
Reviews for Contest-Winning Bavarian Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review