Meet the Cook: All of us - my husband, our two sons (19 and 16) and I - love to eat barbecued ribs. But the closest rib restaurant to us in Denver, 150 miles away. So I came up with this recipe. It's now our traditional meal on the Fourth of July. -Jane Uphoff, Idalia, Colorado
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 pounds pork spareribs
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine the first four ingredients; rub over ribs. For sauce, combine the remaining ingredients; set aside.
- Grill ribs, covered, over indirect heat and medium-low coals for 1 hour, turning occasionally. Add 10 briquettes to coals. Grill 30 minutes longer, basting both sides several times with sauce or until meat is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Spareribs in Country Woman July/August 1997, p29
Reviews for Contest-Winning Barbecued Spareribs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 29, 2016
"bland - would not make again"
Reviewed Sep. 1, 2013
"My family's favourite recipe. I add 1/2c brown sugar (or lately palm sugar) to the sauce"